Tuesday, October 21, 2008

a rake in the right direction


Hey, guys! Today was pretty awesome. I called to confirm with the UMC superintendant this morning at 8:30 but he was not able to meet today after all, so we are planning to meet tomorrow morning instead. So then I worked on some homework (yes, I still have that) and went at 1 pm to the Children's Center Lighthouse ("Lastekeskus"). I rang the doorbell and two little boys answered, talking to each other and smiling at me, saying "Tere! Tere!" (hello in Estonian), then scrambling off out of sight when I stepped inside. I wasn't sure what to do then so I wandered down the hallway peeking into rooms as I went. I found a little kitchen where a woman was making lunch with several children, and when I said the name of the director she pointed me down the hall in the opposite direction. Eventually I found the director, another smiling face, and we sat down to learn about each other. She showed me around the house and introduced me to the lady from the kitchen and several kids along the way.

What I didn't tell you before was that the director (her name is Mall Tamm) had told me she already had 4 volunteers which was enough at present, so there may not be anything for me to help with but that I should come visit. I did, and after we talked today she told me it just so happens that one of the volunteers called in this morning with the flu, and the plan had been to do yardwork with the kids (one of only a few things I could've helped with given that I don't speak Estonian or Russian). So I jumped on it. First I joined the kids for lunch. Then I raked their whole yard and got rocks out of it, with some of the kids helping me. One little boy was raking leaves and picking up sticks out in the yard with rollerblades on his feet. Two little girls brought a plastic sled out and piled leaves on that to move them to the edge of the yard. They spoke some English, and we got to know each other. Later I spent time with other kids and one of the newest volunteers, there getting practice to become a social worker. It was a really neat experience, and it was not really about the leaves (although most trees are bare so they won't have to do much else this fall). It's about showing interest and demonstrating support, and about getting the chance to experience a project from the inside...to become a working part of something special just by being set to a simple task. When I came inside, Mall asked me if I'd had enough or if I'd like to come back tomorrow because her volunteer will not be well by then. So that's where I'm going after my meeting with the UMC.


When I was leaving, the girls asked me if I had time to see the dance they had been working on before I left, so I said of course and after their awesome production (which they started over twice to get it just right) three of them asked me for a hug. I was glad to tell them that I can come back tomorrow. These kids are beautiful, so loving and accepting, and they crave love so much. It is painful to hear the things Mall tells me about some of the things the children have been put through...abuse of all kinds, neglect, living on the streets, rejection at school, this kind of thing...but I'm so thankful that they have this safe place to go to and to experience being loved unconditionally. How would they ever understand Unconditional Love if they had never seen it in person? The Lastekeskus is a happy place and I'm thankful to be invited back. P.S. sorry but I can't take any photos with the children in them.

Other than that, I went out this evening with Janet and Frank to a Russian restaurant called Troika. We move on to our more in-depth catching up, and had a good dinner trying out this cuisine which was new to all of us. Should've taken a picture in there, but you know me. I hate playing the tourist.


Pic 1: The room where kids do homework and art projects.
Pic 2: All their shoes just inside the entrance.




2 Comments:

At October 22, 2008 at 11:46 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

Isn't it just amazing to just be right in the middle of God's plan? It's really good to see Him at work around you. I'm proud of you! I enjoy reading your blogs! Keep it coming!

 
At October 22, 2008 at 2:59 PM , Blogger Robette said...

Love seeing this! Can you find out if we can ship things to the kids when you return home?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home