Thursday, October 23, 2008

beating heart, dancing pumpkin

Hey guys! In case you are curious, this first picture
is of Janet and Frank's house where I am staying. It's a 2-family house, and they have the left side while the other is vacant right now.

In other news, yesterday was quite busy and my meeting at the UMC went well overall. I found that it is not unlike the UMC structure and activity level that we have at home. The superintendant I spoke with was knowledgeable about all the UMC's in Estonia (24 total), but quite honestly did not give me much detail on particular efforts that individual churches make to reach out to the community. It doesn't mean they don't and I know they do, I just don't think this guy's involved on that level (he's higher-level admin). So I might go back and contact the first person I met, the Canadian I mentioned earlier whom I've heard has more involvement in service and outreach.


I went to the Lastekeskus (children's center) that afternoon and just spent time with the kids (that is the main job; give them love and care in a safe environment). This time I spent hours dancing with the girls (& a few small boys), and they asked me to help them with the dance they've started choreographing themselves for fun. I reached back to my dance class days and we added on a section to their dance. I learned their first part then they learned mine added on. I had so much fun teaching them that! Beautiful girls and quick learners. But we are talking serious dancing here and now I have some great bruises (both knees) to complement the blister from raking ;) Now I know I'm alive. The kids also did a Bible study together (self-organized) and then I did my best to play cherades with them. Good times. Late afternoon the director poked her head in the door and just said, "You come back tomorrow, yes? The girls demanding this."



The Lastekeskus closes around 6 pm and from there I went to the new part of Tallinn (modern downtown) for a Wednesday night church-service of sorts with the International Community Church in their new little office. It was actually quite nice. It was a small group (as this is a new thing), cozy, casual, and relevant like "what's going on in your life, how can we be there for you, and how can we show love out in Tallinn?" I met Jana, a super nice art student at the university in town, and am glad to hear that she'll be on the trip to the island of Saaremaa this weekend (she's the one sitting in the photo to the left).


Today I got up early and visited the US Embassy where Janet and Frank work; that was pretty awesome. From there we went as part of a "US Embassy pumpkin-carving team" (I am not kidding) to be special guests at an annual pumpkin-carving contest at a local high school. Supposedly we were to create an example pumpkin, help judge, and give an award for best pumpkin. We did our best, and it was really fun actually! Here's our pumpkin (Lady Liberty, national bird the sparrow, and the "90" logo for Estonia's 90th anniversary of pre-WWII freedom).



Today was a great day at the Lastekeskus. I brought red and green grapes for the kids today just because I happened to think of it at the market on my walk there, and you would have thought I'd given them diamonds. I was surprised a bit at first, but even though it's in the stores I've come to realize that these kids don't get a lot of fresh fruit. Those of you who've seen the amount that I consume on a regular basis might understand how hard this would be for me to comprehend. Makes me really thankful. I spent a lot of time with one girl, named Marie, who had been having a rough day yesterday and had gone home early. I taught her the new part of their dance, and then we practiced it for some time (great workout). Of course there was playtime with other kids but I want to tell you that today we were putting up the board game Operation, and Marie said something that I didn't hear. I said "What?" and she said "Nothing." But I said "It's ok, what did you want to say?" and she looked down at the table and said "I love you!" Oh, man. I don't have to tell you what that can do to a person. When she looked back up I said "I love you, too!" and I think that's what she needed to hear. I meant it, too. I hugged her goodbye today as we walked out and she said "I love you" again, this time without hesitation, because I think this time she knew it would be returned. And that, my friends, makes today a success.



P.S. I'm going with Janet to Helsinki, Finland on Sunday! Pretty excited.

P.S.S. Mum and dad I LOVE you! You're awesome. Also, Frank is letting me borrow his GPS.

P.S.S.S. Laura you are super supreme really awesome supportive friend. I miss you a lot!


Janet, Frank, and Jane working on our Embassy pumpkin.















I am demonstrating excellent knife safety.

2 Comments:

At October 23, 2008 at 6:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay. I am so glad that you are having so much fun. I wish I could play with the kids. That just means that you will have to put in extra hours of play for me. Love you.

Laura

 
At October 24, 2008 at 10:07 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

I love reading about your trip Steph!! Give Janet a big hug from me!! Love you girl!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home